A hedge trimmer is a trimming tool that helps to trim the hedges and shrubs in your patio/lawn without having to spend too much energy and time. This tool could be powered by electricity or gas (Corded, gas-powered, and Cordless).
It helps to save you from manually cutting the branches in your garden or compound with garden shears or pruning saws.
These manual tools make the job more rigorous, but with a hedge trimmer, you can trim those edges perfectly. Also, see Best brush cutters
A cordless hedge trimmer is a kind of electric trimmer that is powered by a Lithium-ion battery. This simply means that you can charge the trimmer and use it without necessarily leaving it plugged into a source of power or power outlet. These hedge trimmers are pretty lightweight.
However, it can be pretty limiting, based on the amount of charge the battery is capable of carrying. If you’re searching for a hedge trimmer with higher portability and power for commercial use, then you may have to go for a gas-powered hedge trimmer.
If you just need an effective trimmer for your garden, then the cordless hedge trimmer is perfect for you. It is also less noisy when compared to other types of hedge trimmers and doesn’t require that much maintenance.
Black+Decker cordless hedge trimmer
In comparison to the standard single-action blade, it produces more power and less vibration with 24 -inch double power blades, which produces 2400 cutting stroke per 60 seconds. It has a solid and sharp shearing blade that can easily trim about ¾ inch thick hedges.
This product is accompanied by a 40-watt battery. This means you don’t need to bother about being limited by wires. It is an effective tool and will effortlessly trim up all hedges for an extended period.
Its full wrap-around handle is offered to help you trim comfortably and safely, preventing you from having blisters on your hand.
A quick-charge adapter comes with your purchase to help charge the battery in just an hour. It features a reduced vibration and soft grip pad that make it very comfortable while in use. When it’s fully charged, it can trim up to 6000sq feet. It also has a battery indicator that allows you to monitor the battery. This way, you know when the battery is getting too low.
- 40V Lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- 24-inch dual-action blade with low vibration
- Shearing blade can cut up to ¾ inch thick, quickly
- It has a fully wrapped front handle for a comfortable grip
- Battery level indicator
- Dimensions: 39.3 * 7.3 * 7.5 inches
- Brand: Black and Decker Outdoor
- Weight: 6.9 pounds
- Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery
- It comes with a two-year warranty
- It is straightforward to use
- It cuts thicker branches better
- It is pretty lightweight
- Comfortable grip pad
- Reduced vibration
- It is not as powerful as corded and electric hedge trimmers
BLACK+DECKER 60V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The 60v max cordless hedge trimmer from black and decker features a powercut function and a saw blade. This sawblade helps to deal with thick branches. The powercut function helps to prevent any jams just by the press of a button.
This cordless trimmer is one of the best, especially when it comes to heavy-duty jobs.
The most impressive feature of the black decker 60v max cordless hedge trimmer is its battery capacity. Once this product has been charged fully, it can run for as long as 4 hours before it requires a recharge.
Its easy-view battery indicator also guides you on the battery level, so you don’t have to worry about completely running out of battery in the middle of working. This product is an upgrade from regular cordless machines. It is powerful and has a couple of valuable features.
However, it would have been better and safer if the blade had a sheath.
- Interchangeable, rechargeable 60v battery
- Dual-action blade that cuts hedges up to 1.5 inches
- It has a power cut feature
- Battery level charge indicator
- Three-year warranty
- Soft grip
- Dimension: 39 * 8 * 7 inches
- Brand: Black and Decker Outdoor
- Weight: 8.4 pounds
- Battery: Lithium-ion, 2.5-Ah
- It is excellent for cutting through extra thick branches
- Once the battery is fully charged, it lasts for a very long period
- It has a convenient handle
- It has a 24-inch long blade
- It is expensive
- It has no blade shealth or cover
DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The DeWalt 20v max cordless hedge trimmer is accompanied by a 22-inch blade that can easily cut up to ¾ inch thick hedges. The battery is a long-lasting battery that can help you achieve up to 2 hours of work time before you have to recharge.
It has a practical trimming function with laser-cut, pre-hardened hooked tooth blades to maintain their sharpness for an extended period. If there’s a risk of an obstacle getting stuck while operating, the friction clutch feature will help your transmission.
If you own other Dewalt products that use a 20v battery, you will be saved from extra cost because they use the same battery and trim with just a battery. Overall, it is an excellent value for money hedge trimmer.
- Powerful high output motor
- 22” laser cut
- It has a lightweight and compact design
- It has cutting strokes of 2800sq per metre
- Dimensions: 38.66 * 9.42 * 7.87 inches
- Brand: Dewalt
- Weight: 8.8 pounds
- Battery: 20-volt lithium-ion battery
- It is cordless
- It is simple to use
- Its blades are pre-hardened
- It comes with a three-year warranty
- Some of the packages may not come with the charger and battery
EGO Power+ HT2400 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
If you’re searching for a high-quality cordless hedge trimmer, EGO power is a brand that should top your list. Its unique features and innovative features make it stand out. It is the leading choice for many house owners.
As described by the manufacturer, it performs like a gas-powered hedge trimmer. It is designed with tough steel, a double-action blade, and a long reach. It is capable of cutting high and long branches.
It has an impressive cutting capacity of up to 3000 strokes a minute. It produces fast, effective, and clean cuts. It also is designed to be weather resistant and can be made use of in several weather conditions.
It is powerful enough to maneuver branches that are as dense as 0.75 inches. It weighs about 6.2 pounds and doesn’t result in unnecessary fatigue due to its lightweight.
It features a D-shaped handle design that allows for a comfortable and convenient grip. This grip allows the operator to have complete control of the machine and can quickly get the job done without much discomfort.
Also, with the EGO Power+, you can trim hedges at any angle. Its blades are built or constructed from hardened steel and are 24-inch double action. This means you’d be getting precise results. This cordless hedge trimmer is a powerful tool and just what you need for your hedges.
- 24inch dual-action, hardened steel blades
- Compatible with all EGO POWER and Arc Lithium batteries
- Electronic brake to stop blade action quickly for better control
- Dimensions: 41.2 * 8.9 * 7.5 inches
- Brand: EGO power
- Weight: 6.2 pounds
- Battery: 56Volt Lithium-ion battery
- It has a run time of an hour
- Five years warranty
- It operates powerfully and effectively
- Weather and water-resistant build
- It can be pretty heavy when the battery is attached
- The charger is sold separately
Makita 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Another effective and convenient cordless hedge trimmer is the Makita hedge trimmer. It is one of the essential tools needed to maintain your lawn, especially if it is a portable-sized garden, patio, or lawn.
It isn’t the most powerful cordless hedge trimmer, but it sure is powerful enough to get the job done.
It is equipped with the necessary features for a comfortable and clean-cut. It is powered by an 18Volt battery, usually sold separately. The battery life is fair; it doesn’t weigh much and is quiet.
The Makita trimmer is quite famous for its anti-vibration structure, created and built with cushions inside the housing of the motor that minimizes and reduces vibration, thereby reducing the noise. Thanks to its battery warning system, a low battery will be indicated by an indicator light, and you’d know that it’s time to charge up.
It has a noise level of just 87 decibels and is quiet compared to other cordless hedge trimmers. It is also pretty convenient to use. It has an incredible speed of 2,700 SPM, making swift and comfortable cuts. It weighs 9 pounds and features a protection computer control that helps to protect it from over-discharging, overheating, and overloading.
Another efficient feature of the Makita cordless hedge trimmer is that you can easily change the blade without disseminating the housing.
- Designed with protection controls to shield it from over-discharging, overloading or overheating
- The Makita motor produces 2,750 SPM for swift cuts
- Anti-vibration build, made with five cushions in the motor housing to help reduce vibration
- Battery level warning system with indicator light
- 22” Double-action shear blade
- Reduced noise level for enhanced user comfort
- Dimension: 9.06 * 40.16 * 9.17 inches
- Brand: MAKITA USA INC
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Battery: 18V LXT battery
- Amazing cutting speed
- Minimized vibration
- Quite easy to operate
- It delivers efficient and clean cuts
- Battery amplitude warning system
- The battery isn’t powerful
- The battery isn’t included
Scotts Outdoor Power Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This outdoor cordless trimmer is robust and one of the best. It is one of the top choices for various homeowners due to its efficiency. It has a battery-powered motor with 2-speed functions/settings. It achieves clean and precise cuts at 3000 strokes per minute.
It will cut the shrubs and hedges in your yard quite swiftly. Its soft grip is comfortable and non-slip. This reduces the strain on your arm and hand while trimming.
It also has a wrap-around safety grip for safe and precise cuts. It is a convenient tool and will get the job done quite fast.
The Scotts outdoor cordless hedge trimmer includes a 20Volt 2.0Ah battery and fast charger, and a blade cover to protect the blades in storage.
However, it does not include an extension cord, so you would have to get an extension cord that is rated to handle the amperage of the hedge trimmer.
- Convenient rear moulded handle design and wrapped around grip for better control and flexibility
- The power trimmer includes a blade for easy and safe storage
- The Scott cordless hedge trimmer can use any 20V 2Ah Scotts Lithium-ion battery
- 3year warranty for the tool itself and one year warranty fr the battery
- It delivers clean cuts at 3000 strokes a minute with two-speed functions
- It is capable of trimming and cutting branches up to 3/4” in diameter
- Impressive run time with a fast charger
- 20Volt brushless motor
- 22” outdoor trimmer with double-action toughened steel blades
- Dimension: 38 * 8 * 10 inches
- Brand: American Lawnmower company
- Weight: 9.43 pounds
- Battery: 20V Lithium-ion battery
- Doesn’t release fumes
- It can easily be manipulated/maneuvered
- The extended blade allows you to reach the undergrowth
- It is affordable
- They offer a three-year warranty
- There is room for improvement on the cord retention hook
Earthwise Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
If you have some unreachable shrubs and long branches to take care of, then the Earthwise cordless pole hedge trimmer is your tool. It is indeed a fantastic choice. This cordless pole hedge trimmer is one of the best quality trimmers and comes with several cool features that push it to the top of the list for many people.
If you pay attention to your garden, and lawn and like to take care of them, then this tool is a must-have for you.
This pole hedge trimmer will help get rid of branches in areas that are hard to reach. It is efficient, safe, clean, and easy to use. It features a 20-inch double-action blade that delivers a clean and precise cut.
It can cut branches as thick as 0.625 inches. It is quite powerful and can make up to 2600 strokes per minute. This means it makes swift cuts, and you’d be done before you know it!
This tool is accompanied by protective covers that keep it secure and safe in storage, protecting it when it isn’t in use. It has an excellent runtime and can be in operation for hours. It is also lightweight and has six adjustable cutting positions.
- A 20Volt 2,0Ah lithium-ion battery powers its high-efficiency motor
- Six-position adjustable hedge trimmer with an extension pole
- A planet-friendly battery doesn’t require gas or oil to function
- Pole can be extended up to 9’5” high
- Dimension: 75 * 7 * 4 inches
- Brand: Earthwise
- Weight: 7.2 pounds
- Battery: 20Volt lithium-ion battery
- Impressive functional design helps to reduce fatigue
- 1-year warranty on the battery and 2-year tool warranty
- Suitable for impervious corners
- It doesn’t produce any fumes
- It is environmental friendly
- A battery that is compatible with all products of Earthwise is included
- The tool can get quite heavy when the pole is fully extended
Ryobi 22 cordless hedge trimmer
The Ryobi 22 is a cordless battery-powered hedge trimmer that is most suitable for easy trimming and cleaning jobs around the house. It runs on an 18Volt battery and produces the required stress and power to maintain your patio, garden, and lawn.
It is very lightweight and has a compact design. This allows for convenience, and anyone can efficiently operate it.
It weighs less than 12 pounds and can be easily maneuvered to cut and trim effectively. Thankfully, it has a 0.75-inch cutting capacity, so it is capable of handling harsh edges. It delivers precise cuts at any angle due to its wrap-around front handle and rotating rear handle.
It also features reduced vibration when in use and a hedge sweep that cleans off debris and clippings when cutting. Also, see a Best backpack leaf blower
- Upgraded 22 inches, double-action blades
- Wrap-around front handle
- Rotating rear handle
- Hedge sweep to clear debris
- Dimension: 44.1 * 12.7 * 12.4 inches
- Brand: Ryobi
- Weight: 11.43 pounds
- Battery: 18Volt lithium-ion battery
- Minimized vibration level
- It is simple to use
- You can trim at all angle with the rotating handle
- 3-year warranty
- It isn’t capable of trimming huge branches
- The battery and charger are included
WORKPRO 7.2V 2-in-1 Cordless Handheld Hedge Trimmer
This is a small-sized trimmer that is used to trim hedges. Interestingly, the steel blades can be changed to turn into a handheld mower to handle grass growing between plants. This is a feature that will come in handy, especially if you have knotty grass formations on your lawn or in your garden.
It is very lightweight and compact so that it can be held and operated with one hand. It is also the perfect tool for occasional hedge trimming. It is efficient in small-sized spaces, gardens, and so on. However, it can only deliver a troke rate of 1100spm.
This means it can be pretty slow and isn’t the most powerful choice. It is suitable for shaping hedges with short-diameter branches.
- Quick and safe double lock design for child safety lock and double security protection and security key forms
- It features an effortless one-hand operation
- Easy to use comfortable grip for convenience
- Reduced vibration
- Replaceable high-quality blade
- Innovative blade change-no tools required
- Rechargeable, long-life 7.2V lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 12.99 * 5.12 * 4.33 inches
- Brand: Hangzhou Great star industrial CO. LTD
- Weight: 1.04 pounds
- Battery: 7.2V lithium-ion battery
- Comfortable and convenient grip
- Lightweight and compact
- Easily replaceable blades
- Charging/battery indicator
- Safe security lock
- It can only operate for 40 minutes per charge
- It can only cut through branches that are 10mm thick
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Just before you decide on that cordless hedge Hammer, there are a couple of things that you may have to consider.
First, you want to consider how much voltage is available to the hedge trimmer.
Cordless hedge trimmers come in several power capacities like 10.8V, 20V, 7.2V, 18V,56V, and 40V. The amount of power required is mainly based on the length of the blade.
The longer the length, the higher the amount of power required. Some cordless hedge trimmers are almost as powerful as a gas-powered trimmer.
The primary blade feature that should be considered with a cordless hedge trimmer Is if it is double-sided or single-sided. The distance or space between the blade teeth is also an essential factor.
Single-sided blades are safer because the blade is on one side only, so you can keep the dangerous side of the blade away from yourself while working. However, when it comes to speed, the double-sided blades are much better because you can trim with both sides of the blade simultaneously.
You can determine the kind of branches that the tool is suitable for through the distance or space between the blade teeth. A gap of ¾ inches is regular for many home-use tools/devices.
When opting for a cordless hedge trimmer, it is advised that you pay attention to the battery life/capacity. For maximum battery life, you can go for lithium-ion batteries.
You can also consider buying an extra battery pack just in case you are working large jobs.
You should consider the kind of handle that comes with the hedge trimmer. You’d need a comfortable handle to hold on to while trimming. Ensure that you opt for a hedge trimmer with a handle that is “wrap around” and provides you with a comfortable handle/grip.
You can also consider hedge trimmers with rotating handles that can be changed based on the direction you’re trimming in to allow you to hold it comfortably in any direction.
The quality of the blade in use will help determine the hedge trimmer’s effectiveness when cutting hedges. The blade’s quality also determines the durability of the trimmer. Cordless hedge trimmers have blade lengths, going from 16 inches to 24 inches.
When choosing the blade length, you should do so based on the kind of hedges that you need to trim or cut.
If there are a lot of hedges, shrubs, or bushes in your yard or garden, then you may spend a long time trimming. You must purchase a lightweight cordless trimmer. This way, you can trim without getting fatigued or over-stressing your muscles.
It’ll also improve your performance and allow you to cover ground faster than you would if the hedge trimmer was heavy.
When choosing a hedge trimmer, weight is a primary factor and must be considered before final purchase.
Easy to Use
You should also consider its ease of use. Its handle, weight, and blade help to determine the ease of use. You’d require a flexible hedge trimmer that will allow you to trim in any direction quite quickly.
After using your hedge trimmer continuously, it’ll surely need some maintenance. Still, before choosing the hedge trimmer, you need to consider the level of maintenance it requires and how expensive or affordable the maintenance is.
You can maintain the hedge trimmer by cleaning its parts up frequently to avoid moisture from gathering and causing rust.
Most hedge trimmers come equipped with several kinds of motorized blades, and they can bring about massive damage if it isn’t used rightly. Most hedge trimmers come with safety functions like automatic shut-offs and even a hand shield to help keep you from the blade.
If you’re new to trimming, then it’s better if you went for a cordless, lightweight hedge trimmer.
You should look out for the quality and durability of a hedge trimmer before making a purchase. A cordless hedge trimmer is quite affordable and easy to maintain. It doesn’t require as much maintenance as the gas hedge trimmer.
So, if you aren’t big on maintenance, then the cordless hedge trimmer is excellent and suitable.
You should note that the quality most times determines the price. So if you’re opting for a high-quality hedge trimmer, you should plan a reasonable budget.
If you’re searching for a powerful hedge trimmer of high quality, you shouldn’t bother about the price, but for a regular cordless hedge trimmer, you’d get the job done, and you wouldn’t have to spend above your budget.
It is to your advantage to purchase a cordless hedge trimmer with the highest possible warranty. In case there’s a fault, you can get it fixed or replaced.
This can become dangerous if not used properly. To use it correctly, you should use both of your hands when operating the hedge trimmer. Also, ensure that your work area is cleared and clean of debris to prevent you from tripping on it.
Pets and children should not be present in your work area to avoid accidents.
Ensure that you use safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying debris while you trim the hedges. Wear a pair of thick jeans, proper shoes to cover all parts of your feet, and safety gloves to protect your hand.
What is the best cordless hedge trimmer to buy? Are cordless hedge trimmers any good?
The best cordless hedge trimmer to buy is the Black+Decker cordless hedge trimmer. Yes, cordless hedge trimmers are good and quite efficient.
Which is better, cordless or corded hedge trimmer?
Corded hedge trimmers simplify the job and can run for a very long time, compared to cordless hedge trimmers.
Are Ryobi hedge trimmers any good?
Yes, the Ryobi 22 is one of the best cordless hedge trimmers on the market.
What is the difference between a hedge trimmer and a hedge cutter?
Hedge cutters are used to deal with heavy-duty jobs, while hedge trimmers can be used to handle delicate and lighter jobs.
What is the lightest cordless hedge trimmer?
The lightest cordless trimmer is the Worx 20Volt, max 20-in Dual electric, cordless hedge trimmer.
What should I search for when buying a hedge trimmer?
It would help if you considered the blade length, type, the weight of the hedge trimmer, and the battery life, amongst others.
What is the lightest long reach hedge trimmer?
The GreenWorks 24Volt cordless long reach hedge cutter is one of the lightest hedge trimmers.
How long do electric hedge trimmers last?
An electric hedge trimmer can last from 40 minutes to 1 hour.
If you’re searching for budget-friendly, cordless hedge trimmers, this article is a must-read for you. Remember to maintain your hedge trimmers accordingly, and keep away from the reach of children. Also, ensure that you cover the blade with a blade sheath.
These tools require a good level of maintenance for longevity. Endeavor to sharpen the blades every once in a while. Clean the trimmer carefully to prevent rust from the buildup of excess moisture or blockages.
Try to maintain clean and clear vents with the correct mixture of gas and oil. A cordless hedge trimmer can be advantageous to you if you have a large-sized garden because you can easily carry the hedge trimmer around without bothering about the cord or extension.
Most of these cordless hedge trimmers come without the battery, so ensure to check if the charger and battery are included or if they are sold separately.
If you have any queries feel free to reach out in the comments section below.
Want to know how to decorate your garden better? Check out our complete section on Garden Decor.